Dear Virto Commerce Community,
We hope this message finds you well. As part of our commitment to providing you with the best features, improved performance, and bug fixes, we’re excited to share our plans regarding the update to .NET 8.
Microsoft has recently released the next Long-Term Support (LTS) version, .NET 8, bringing a host of new features and enhancements. We’ve been actively monitoring the changes made by the Microsoft team and are eager to leverage the benefits of this update for Virto Commerce.
At Virto Commerce, we adhere to a strategy of using LTS versions to ensure the best support and stability for enterprise eCommerce projects. With this in mind, we are planning to update Virto Commerce to .NET 8, with an estimated timeframe set for early February 2024. This will mark the 8th stable release of VC on .NET 8.
Just like before, we will continue to support the two previous stable releases. This allows you ample time to transition to .NET 8 seamlessly.
Before the official release, we will conduct thorough testing to ensure the compatibility of .NET 8 with major cloud platforms, including Azure, Amazon, Google, and Virto Cloud.
Here’s a checklist of items we are currently monitoring:
- Update Microsoft Core Packages for .NET 8
- Update Postgres Entity Framework Core 8.0
- Update MySql Entity Framework Core 8.0
- Update Webpack to support Node v20.9.0 (LTS)
- Increase platform and modules version with 3.800+
- Update 3rd party components to latest version but minimize list of breaking changes
- Cleanup legacy [Obsolete] from platform and modules
- Add support for Central Package Management
- Eliminate System.Data.SqlClient
- Create modules manifest for VC on .NET 8
- Update VC-BUILD
- Update Docker Images
- Update vc-cli-module-template
- Update vc-storefront
- Release Stable v8 on .NET 8
- Update Azure Deploy
- Load Test .NET 6 vs. .NET 8 + Sql Server and PostgreSQL
We would love to hear your thoughts and wishes regarding VC on .NET 8. If there are specific features in .NET 8 that interest you and you believe should be included in the Virto Commerce project, please share your feedback with us.
Your feedback is invaluable to us, and together, we can make Virto Commerce on .NET 8 even more robust and tailored to your needs.