We have a customer using the VirtoCommerce platform for online eCommerce. They are onboarding a large new set of organizations and decided to spin up a duplication of the current system.
- Change the environment-sensitive data. Like, domains, payment provider configuration, etc.
- Don’t forget about data anonymization for security reason.
- Change connection string.
Solution 1. Copy MS SQL Database
Virto Commerce Platform uses MS SQL database as primary-data storage. So, you can use MS SQL native tools to copy the database and transfer the data.
If you connect a new database, you will need to rebuild the index.
If you configure multiple databases How to set own Database connection for the Virto Commerce module - howto - Virto Commerce, you can duplicate data per database. For example, duplicate catalog data only.
Solution 2. Export/Import
You can export data from Virto Commerce Platform in JSON format.
- Go to Export & Import and open Data export and import.
- Here you can select Choose modules to export as well as binary data.
- If you complete the step, you will receive the json file which can be used.
Azure allows copying environment. More details here Tip 29 - Cloning Web Apps Using and Azure App Services | Azure Tips and Tricks (microsoft.github.io)
Just need to copy files and reconfigure IIS application.